Friday 10 August 2012

creating 'snow gum'





Guess what? More screen printing!

These are a few pics of a new design, 'snow gum', in progress. I was inspired by the beautiful shapes of eucalyptus snow gum tree leaves. They're so soft and round and very different to other eucalyptus leaf shapes which are often much longer and more pointed. I also wanted the print to have the appearance of floating on the linen.

I ended up making it a 2 colour print on the flax coloured linen even though I like the single colour (turquoise) on the linen also. I was keen to experiment with some overprinting which is how the 2 colour print (in turquoise and white) came about.

The last pic is of the design in progress with a layer of drafter's film over the top. This is what I've been using to create stencils because it's reusable even though it's harder to cut than paper. I really like it as a material for creating stencils.

Snow Gum in the 2 colour format is now available in the shop. Happy dish drying!

6 comments:

  1. I like all of them but especially the second last one with the red bowl against it. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that feedback Priya. I'm thinking of doing a small print run of just the blue snow gum. I like the simplicity of that one too.

      Delete
  2. Love that design, the shapes are really beautiful! Drafter's film looks interesting I must give it a try! I use ezy cut for creating stencils - it's like thin plastic paper which can be reused over and over again and it's as it says - easy to cut! You can get it at any good art supply shop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that great tip. I've heard of easy cut but not used it. Will have to investigate one day...

      Delete
  3. I always love your work. And that bowl. A perfect aesthetic.
    Now, do share. What is NID magazine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NID is a 'lifestyle, home & interior' magazine. It's not overly glossy and focuses a lot on traditional food and natural lifestyle options. I love the aesthetics - very Japanese.
      See more info here: http://mizudesigns.blogspot.com.au/2010/10/zakka.html
      I usually buy if from yesasia.com
      You can also buy it from Jollygoo's shop sometimes:
      http://jollygoo.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/japanese-folk-crafts-in-nid.html
      Thanks for your kind words about my printmaking :)

      Delete